Young children, in general, will always be notoriously busy. They will hop from one task to another without any restraint. But if you channelize their mental energy suitably, you can mold them into very bright kids. In fact, you will be doing a great favor to them by doing so because such bright kids are certain to have a bright future when they grow up.
If you have children aged 5 or 6 and if you think that you should provide them abacus training for channelizing their mental energy, there are chances of you being not able to make a firm decision. This may be because you may not know if children of the age of 5 or 6 will be able to properly learn the lessons taught in their abacus classes. In this connection, you should know that the age of 5 or 6 is perfect for enrolling children in an abacus program. Even experts corroborate with the fact that parents can ideally admit their children in an abacus for beginners program as soon as they attain the age of 5 or 6.
If you are looking for other alternative arithmetic or math training classes, look no further. At Indigo, they not only have an exam-centred approach but ensures your child learns about Math in an enjoyable way. Check out their site today: http://www.indigo.com.sg/primary/math
According to these experts, enrolling children in an abacus program at a young age bestows innumerable benefits. Let us now try to know what these benefits are.
1. It has been proved by researchers that children who are provided abacus training at a young age can have a better mental growth than those who take up these classes at a later stage.
2. These children will be able to solve maths problems more easily and more quickly. For example, if they are given a problem in addition, they will be able to give the answer within minutes. Due to this ability, they will have more self-confidence than other children because those who have not joined an abacus program at a young age will take more time to solve such problems.
3. Children who get trained in an abacus program at such a young age will have enhanced memory power. Their IQ will also be at a much higher level.
4. When your children develop their capabilities to do their calculations more speedily, you will find that the capacity of their brain also expands. This means they will be able to imbibe more lessons than other children. They will excel not only in mathematics but in other subjects as well.
5. It is a proven fact that the subject of mathematics itself will help in building what is known as the lateral thinking ability in children. If abacus training is provided at a young age, children will acquire this ability much earlier than other children. So, even as children, they will be able to think with new perspectives. They can even multi-task without any difficulty. If these kids are interested in music or sports, they will excel in them also.
Since these children will learn to use the right hemisphere of their brain, they will have more creativity. So, when they grow up, they will be able to think out of the box and hence, will come out with highly innovative and unique solutions for resolving the issues that may confront them. Even if they do not face any issues, they will be able to accomplish their tasks with more creativity.
6. In general, most of the children may not like mathematics. But if you put your children in an abacus program at a young age, you will find that they develop a liking towards mathematics. Since these children will be constantly practicing mathematics using the methods they have learned in their abacus training, they will acquire the most important attribute of endurance as well. This will go a long way in shaping a bright future for them.
7. Abacus helps to improve mental calculations at a young age will learn how to concentrate deeply. This means that they will be able to focus better on whatever they do. This attribute will be of immense help to them when they grow as adults and when they take up important responsibilities. You will find that they are sharper than how they were earlier. There will be a manifold improvement in their memory power also.
Though it cannot be said that children who are admitted into an abacus training program at a later stage will not acquire all these capabilities, the benefit of acquiring these abilities in the formative years is incomparable.
Encourages the use of right side of the brain: The left side of the brain focuses on the analysis of information. The right side of the brain focuses on visualisation, creativity and thinking. Usually, the left temporal region is used for performing mathematical calculations with pen and paper. Abacus training stimulates the right side of the brain, thereby improving your childs ability to memorise, visualise, and observe.
Develops logical understanding: Over time, children develop the ability to imagine an abacus in their mind and to make mental calculations. When a child visualises the maths question on the imaginary abacus, he/she has to think and apply logic to do the correct movement of beads in mind. Repeatedly performing mental math builds their ability to apply logic in other day-to-day life scenarios a well.
Improved understanding of math: Research has shown that advanced abacus learners are better at solving certain types of mathematical problems compared to those who were not trained in abacus. Abacus training improves the childs capability of solving mathematical problems with integers, decimals, and fractions, and problems requiring higher level of logical thinking.
Improves concentration: In a study conducted by the Decker Avenue School, California, researchers analysed the effects of abacus training on children in a classroom. It was found that the students who received abacus training showed a significant improvement in concentration levels.
Improves memory and visualisation: A two-year long study titled The Effect of Abacus Training on Chinese Children’s Mental Calculation showed that the abacus learners had better auditory and visual memory compared to non-abacus learners. Another research has shown that abacus learning can improve visualisation, which is attributed to the fact that abacus students visualise an abacus in their mind. The visualisation ability is useful to students in other fields of study as well.
Best Time to Start Abacus Training
Mental Maths and abacus champion Priyanshi Somani won Indian National Abacus Championship in 2006, 2007, and 2008, when she was less than ten years old. She also won several international arithmetic competitions at a young age.
Most abacus tutors are of the opinion that for best results abacus training should start early during the formative ages of the child. Children in the age group of four to five can start basic abacus training. However, it is never too late when it comes to learning a skill. So, even older children start training in abacus calculation with the help of a math tutor.